Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm Not Cool

Shocking, I know.
Today I'm specifically referring to Kitschy Coo's sew-along (aka The Cool Girls' Club) which I was supposed to be participating in. When she announced it I thought everyone would be working through their skirts step-by-step which would give me ample time to catch up if when I fell behind. So not the case. I was supposed to have the whole thing done by last Saturday. oops.

So last night I took the measurements needed for the skirt and made my overdue muslin from a bed sheet. It was a little snug, I had to do some serious gut-sucking to pin it shut at the zipper opening. Boooo.

Then, this afternoon, when I put it back on to take some pictures it fit nicely with a little gap at the waist even. I puzzled over this until I realized the culprit: lactose. I'm a little bit lactose intolerant. Not so much that I can't have ice cream ever; just enough that I suffer the consequences if when I do eat it. So if you suffer from the same malady, I suggest not taking your measurements after a huge bowl of ice cream. Even if you aren't lactose intolerant, I suggest not doing it because the numbers on the measuring tape will make you regret every yummy bite.

I tried to take the skirt pictures in my bathroom mirror but the lighting in there does not allow for that sort of craziness. So I took my new camera out to the front porch and tried out the timer mode.

It beeps.

Loud.

I started to worry that the neighbors would call in the bomb squad. So I took the camera out back where the landscaping is so much nicer and took these somewhat blurry pictures (the camera focused on my landscaper's hard work so then the fruitcake leaping in front of the camera is out of focus).

I like the flare, I think it falls nicely from my less-than-proportionate hips:


I think I might increase the darts in the back just a little since I have a little extra room there post-ice cream. I think it will be OK since all this body measuring has inspired me to flop around in front of the TV while some skinny minx demonstrates the proper way to do Pilates:


Yes, custom made is good. I don't think I own a skirt that falls away from my junk this nicely:

Now I realize that the camera must not have been sitting on level surface.
Don't worry, my legs are both the same length.

So far I'm really liking this book: Design it Yourself Clothes by Cal Patch

No comments:

Post a Comment