Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Crochet Necklaces

Crocheting wire is at once easier and harder than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting that linking together tiny loops of wire would be easy, and its not, but I wasn't prepared for how sore my poor fingers would get. There is definitely a knack to it that I haven't learned yet.
But I did give myself a little pep talk so I wouldn't get too depressed when my first few attempts weren't fit to wear into public. But, honestly, this method is really forgiving. Here is the first necklace I made:
Its made with rose quartz and a simple chain "stitch", without any blank loops between the stones. You can see that I didn't attach a chain and just started adding stones once I had a couple inches of chain stitches:

I like it but I fiddle with it a lot because of where it sits on my neck. I wish I had made it just a little longer, I probably won't wear it much for the same reason I don't wear turtlenecks.
I like my second necklace better because of the color and how it sits on my neck:
I added some chain to this one to make it a little more flexible. This necklace has round beads on chain stitches and teardrop shaped beads attached with a half double crochet so they sit a little lower than the round beads:
These are loads of fun to make. I can't wait to get my mitts on some more beads so I can try some different designs I have in mind. When I get the hang of this, I'll do a tutorial so you all can make some too.

No comments:

Post a Comment